Frequently Asked Questions
LifeguardMobile is a digital health application designed to help anyone involved in a medical journey support better health outcomes. LifeguardMobile allows for communication between those people who are engaged in supporting a Patient’s care: a Patient’s family and/or friends as well as the Patient themselves. LifeguardMobile is for consumers who want to self-manage their, or their loved one’s care. LifeguardMobile makes it easy to organize and access important medical information, make more informed decisions, manage key tasks, and seamlessly coordinate with the entire care team.
LifeguardRx is essentially the same app as LifeguardMobile with one significant exception: LifeguardRx is offered exclusively through healthcare providers and engages the Patient with their healthcare provider via the Lifeguard Telehealth Platform. LifeguardMobile is automatically converted to LifeguardRx when a Patient or Patient Proxy enrolls with a participating Lifeguard Provider, who then provisions a Care Plan (“Provisioned Care Plan”) to that Patient’s/Proxy’s Lifeguard account. (See “How Do I Enroll for LifeguardRx in the Lifeguard Provider’s Connected Care Program?” – the second section under, “How do I get started on Lifeguard”)
LifeguardRx is used by Patients or their authorized Proxy. LifeguardRx enables Remote Care Management of Patients by Lifeguard Providers. Patients with LifeguardRx are under the “Directed Care” of a Lifeguard Provider’s clinical care team, meaning that there is a direct Patient/Lifeguard Provider relationship.
Download/Install the App
- Consumers (a Patient or Patient Proxy (caregiver of a Dependent patient), their trusted caregiver friends and family – “Members”) can download the Lifeguard app by going to the Apple App Store (iOS for iPhones) or the Google Play Store (for Android phones) and searching for “LifeguardMobile” or “Lifeguard Health Networks” and then follow prompts to download and install the LifeguardMobile application.
- For Lifeguard Provider Patients under “Directed Care”: Patients can independently download and install the LifeguardMobile application and can also request the support of a Lifeguard Provider team member to download/install the Lifeguard app. For any first-time downloads, the Lifeguard application will be LifeguardMobile. Once the Patient or Patient Proxy enrolls in the Lifeguard Program with the Lifeguard Provider, a Provisioned Care Plan from the Lifeguard Provider may be incorporated in the app, and that LifeguardMobile account will be automatically converted to LifeguardRx. The Provisioned Care Plan can be viewed by tapping on the “Plan” icon under the “Care Binder” heading of the Patient’s Home screen.
How Do I Enroll for LifeguardRx in the Lifeguard Provider’s Connected Care Program?
- Note: If a Patient Proxy is identified as the primary participant in the Connected Care Program using Lifeguard, the Proxy must be identified as such in the Lifeguard Provider’s enrollment process and also be identified in the Patient record of the Lifeguard Provider’s EMR as the patient’s “healthcare representative” (or similar term).
- A Patient or Patient Proxy will need support from a Lifeguard Provider team member to enroll with that Lifeguard Provider for their Lifeguard Connected Care Program – enrollment requires the Lifeguard Provider Patient’s Medical Record Number (MRN), a specific healthcare provider (HCP) must be assigned to the Patient as the “Primary HCP” and, an “active therapy” must also be selected. The selected active therapy will generate a specific “care plan” regimen for the patient. Lifeguard Provider Patients and Patient Proxies can ask a Lifeguard Provider team member in the clinic for help enrolling in Lifeguard. Once enrolled with the Lifeguard Provider, the Patient/Proxy will need to download the LifeguardMobile app from the App Store (iOS/Apple) or the Play Store (Android) and install the Lifeguard app on their smartphone. Upon installation, the Patient/Proxy can be immediately set up with LifeguardRx. The Lifeguard account may also be auto-populated with the Patient’s Provisioned Care Plan from the Lifeguard Provider (depending on the Lifeguard Provider’s program and policy). (Note: If LifeguardMobile has already been installed on the Patient/Proxy’s smartphone before being enrolled with the Lifeguard Provider, after enrollment with the Lifeguard Provider has been completed, LifeguardMobile will automatically convert to LifeguardRx and the Patient’s Provisioned Care Plan, if automated, will be added to the Patient/Proxy’s Lifeguard account.)
- To participate in a “Directed Care” program, or a Connected Care Program, using LifeguardRx, the Patient must enroll with the Lifeguard Provider organization. With support from the Lifeguard Provider organization, Patients may participate directly (“self”) or may assign another person as a designate (“Patient Proxy”) who can act and engage in Lifeguard – and with the Lifeguard Provider organization’s clinical team – as an authorized “healthcare representative” (or similar term) of the Patient. If a Patient chooses to have a Patient Proxy in the Lifeguard Provider’s Connected Care Program, they must be identified in the Lifeguard Provider’s enrollment process.
- After enrolling as a Lifeguard Patient or Patient Proxy with the Lifeguard Provider, you will receive an email invitation to download and install Lifeguard on your smartphone – just click on the link embedded in the email message and follow instructions to install the Lifeguard app. (If you have already installed LifeguardMobile on your smartphone, you will automatically have access to LifeguardRx upon next opening of your Lifeguard app.) Once the app has been installed you will have LifeguardRx on your phone and be ready to participate with your Lifeguard Provider clinical team. Any family and friend caregivers you invite to participate as Co-Managers/Members will also be able to support you in the Lifeguard Provider’s program. (See: “How do I add people to me Lifeguard account as a “Dependent”; as “Co-Manager”/”Member“?” for more details.)
- If you ever need to install (or re-install) LifeguardMobile onto your smartphone without Lifeguard Provider’s assistance, you can do so directly from either the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store by searching for “LifeguardMobile” or “Lifeguard Health Networks”, and then installing the app. As a Lifeguard Provider-enrolled Lifeguard Patient, the installed LifeguardMobile will automatically convert to LifeguardRx, which then allows your clinical team to provide “Directed Care”. If the application is a reinstallation of Lifeguard with the same email address used for the prior Lifeguard account, Lifeguard will remember the previous account information and repopulate information previously recorded and saved in that Lifeguard account.
Create Your Account
- Once you have enrolled for Lifeguard with the Lifeguard Provider and installed the LifeguardMobile app on your smartphone, you will need to enter your email address (same address as you have given to your Lifeguard Provider) and create a password to access your Lifeguard account. Inside the Lifeguard application, you will need to complete your profile and verify your mobile number. Once that has been completed, your app will automatically convert to LifeguardRx® (and, if your Lifeguard Provider has established a automated therapy-based care plan, a “Provisioned Care Plan” will be loaded on your app, if your Lifeguard Provider has established a default care plan) and you’ll be ready to begin using Lifeguard.
- If you download and install LifeguardMobile directly from one of the app stores before enrolling online through a Lifeguard Provider, you will install LifeguardMobile without any input from the Lifeguard Provider. After installing and opening the app you will be prompted to log in or create a new account. To create a new account, you will need to complete your profile.
Before you can receive your Provisioned Care Plan from a Lifeguard Provider, you will have to enroll with a Lifeguard Provider. You will need support from a Lifeguard Provider care team member (e.g., nurse or navigator) to complete this process as it requires your MRN (Medical Record Number) and, a healthcare provider (HCP) must be assigned to you and, an active therapy must also be selected. Once enrolled, your account will convert to LifeguardRx and then your Lifeguard Provider will be able to provision a patient Care Plan to you.
Establish your Settings
Tap on “Settings” icon (at the bottom right of your LifeguardRx Home screen). Tap on “Edit” under your name in the name panel, then fill in as much information as is requested. Tap “save” to retain the info in your profile.
Complete (or verify) your Profile (“Edit”)
- Enter or review the spelling of your first and last name as well as your email address. (The email address you use must be the same – both in the Lifeguard app and in the Lifeguard Provider’s system (typically their Electronic Medical Record/EMR system).
- If you haven’t already done so during Lifeguard registration, add and/or verify your mobile phone number – necessary for in-app phone calls, easy account access and recovery.
- Add or change your profile picture to help Members as well as your clinical care team quickly identify you and your account.
- Complete the rest of your profile and make sure your profile includes your location information for better customer service (this information will not be shared!).
- When completed, tap “Save” to retain the information in your profile.
Build Your Care Plan
- Patients in the Connected Care Program at a Lifeguard Provider will have a Provisioned Care Plan in Lifeguard. The Provisioned Care Plan is part of a broader available Care Plan in Lifeguard. Patients can add additional elements to their broader Care Plan (i.e. medications, supplements, or other health elements) but cannot change or edit any of the plan elements (the Provisioned Care Plan) provisioned to them by the Lifeguard Provider. (See: “How do I create or modify Care Plan elements?” for more details)
- Patients who are not participating in a “directed care” plan with a Lifeguard Provider may “self-direct” their care using LifeguardMobile and must create their own Care Plan. Once registered in Lifeguard with a completed profile, a custom Care Plan consisting of conditions/diagnoses, medication tracking, symptom assessments, vitals measurements, lifestyle activities, and custom regimens can be created by the LifeguardMobile consumer.
Invite Your Family and Friends to Support you on your Journey via Lifeguard –
Invite your trusted family and friends as caregivers to join Lifeguard and participate as a “Co-Manager”/”Member” and become part of your support network. (See: “How do I add people to my Lifeguard account as a “Dependent”; as “Co-Manager”/”Member”?” for more details.)
- Set permissions for each individual Co-Manager/Member on your support team. (See: “Who can access my profile in Lifeguard?” below for details.)
Build Your Library
- Store your confidential medical documents and health resources for easy access. If you are receiving Directed Care from a Lifeguard Provider, your Lifeguard Provider or a member of your Lifeguard Provider care team may share resources directly with you in your Library. You will receive a notification anytime something is added to your Library by the Lifeguard Provider or another Member in your Circle of Care. (See: “How do I use the Library to view, store and share Medical Records?” for more details.)
LifeguardMobile/Rx is not currently accessible via computer. Lifeguard is available as a mobile solution for iOS (Apple) and Android smartphones and tablets. (Note: There is active development underway for Lifeguard to be accessible via a computer-based web-browser. The date of release for “LifeguardWEB” is pending.)
If you can’t find an answer to your question in this FAQ, Patients using LifeguardRx who are in a Connected Care Program at a Lifeguard Provider and are actively under Directed Care can submit a request to their Lifeguard Provider’s support desk for further assistance.
NOTE: Clinical support for any medical or health questions should immediately be made directly to your Lifeguard Provider clinical team.
Consumers who are using LifeguardMobile and are NOT under Directed Care of a Lifeguard Provider and are NOT in a Connected Care Program at a Lifeguard Provider may submit a request by going to https://lifeguardhealthnetworks.com/about-us/contact-us/ and filling out the online form.
Simply click the “forgot password” link below the Log In panel of the LifeguardMobile Log In screen on your mobile device and you will be presented with two options: enter your email address and tap the “Send” button for an email reply or, tap “Recover with Phone” button and a validation code will be sent to your smartphone for you to complete the process.
FINGERPRINT: Before you start, make sure you have enabled your device’s fingerprint scanning functionality, and that you have at least one authorized fingerprint saved.
FACIAL RECOGNITION: Some smartphones offer facial recognition to log in (e.g., Apple’s “Face ID” is currently available on newer iPhones [e.g., iPhone X]), which does not offer Touch-ID for fingerprint. The Lifeguard application will automatically recognize smartphones, such as iPhone X, and offer the user an option to enable Face ID as part of the initial installation of LifeguardMobile.
For a step-by-step to set up Touch ID on iOS smartphones, click here; for Face ID on iOS (e.g., iPhone X) click here; for Android smartphones that use “Fingerprint”, visit the website of the manufacturer of your mobile device. For a list of Android mobile devices, click here and scroll through the listed phones.
You can make sure that you have authorized biometrics (fingerprint, or Face ID for iPhone X) enabled for your Lifeguard application, by logging in to LifeguardMobile with your password, then going to the Settings menu.
In Settings, select Preferences, then Passcode Lock, and tap the box under “Touch ID” (iOS) (or “Face ID” for iPhone X), or “Fingerprint” (Android) so that a checkmark appears. Click the back arrow at the top left of the screen until you reach the Settings menu to save your selection. You should now be able to log into your LifeguardMobile account using fingerprint or facial recognition. (You may also turn off biometric enabled log in by unchecking the Fingerprint or Touch ID/Face ID box in your Lifeguard “Settings”.)
You set up your profile by creating a Lifeguard user account with your email and password. From there, you decide who has access to your profile and what information each person supporting you can access. (See: “How do I change Member Permissions?” for more details.) Add family and friends to be your Members with the email address they used (or will use) to register for Lifeguard by tapping on the “Add New” icon to the right of the “Circle of Care” section heading on your Home screen. (See: “How do I add people to my Lifeguard account as a “Dependent”; as a “Co-Manager”/”Member”?“ for more details.) You can remove Members and alter preferences at any time in the Settings menu of the Lifeguard mobile application.
Patients who wish to participate in a Connected Care Program at a Lifeguard Provider may make such a quest to their Lifeguard Provider. If the Patient or Proxy is qualified for participation, Lifeguard may be made available for you and your family caregivers through a Lifeguard Provider. To participate, a Lifeguard Provider team member will be able to help you enroll in the program.
Once enrolled, you will need to download and install the app to your Apple or Android smartphone and create an account. Visit one of the links below to download and install LifeguardMobile and get started:
You may install LifeguardMobile before being enrolled with a Lifeguard Provider. To participate in a Connected Care Program, however, you must enroll with a Lifeguard Provider. Once enrolled, your LifeguardMobile will convert to LifeguardRx and you can then be provisioned a care plan for Directed Care from your Lifeguard Provider.
You can delete your account from within Lifeguard. Simply go to “Settings” and “Edit Profile” and scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap “Delete Account.” Be aware that deleted accounts cannot be recovered. Before you delete, you can share your files stored in LifeguardMobile’s Library as well as all of your Progress charts – to your own and/or another person’s email address. (For details on how to share information in Library and Progress, See: “How do I view and share Progress Charts?”; and, “How do I use the Library to view, store and share Medical Records?”)
A Provisioned Care Plan is designed by your Lifeguard Provider for the recording of a range of predetermined Care Plan elements. If one or more elements reach a predetermined level set by your Lifeguard Provider, you will be notified via an alert inside LifeguardRx with related information and a “Call Now” button to connect with a member of your Lifeguard Provider care team.
A Care Plan is your personalized care regimen which you (and your medical team) have established – which may include elements you create that are in addition to those in your Provisioned Care Plan from your Lifeguard Provider. The Patient may add regimens to build out their broader Care Plan. A Care Plan can include any elements a Patient wishes to manage and/or track, such as medications, symptoms, vital measures, and wellness (e.g., nutrition, exercise or sleep), that may not be in your Lifeguard Provider’s Provisioned Care Plan.
NOTE: only those elements provisioned to the Patient’s Provisioned Care Plan will be actively monitored under the Connected Care Program of your Lifeguard Provider.
NOTE: The Provisioned Care Plan from your Lifeguard Provider is author-protected and cannot be modified by Patients. Thresholds and ranges for the monitored elements of your Care Plan provisioned to you by your Lifeguard Provider have been pre-set and cannot be modified. Similarly, the frequency standards for recording your Care Plan elements established by your Lifeguard Provider for Directed Care Patients have been pre-set and cannot be modified.
To Add a Care Plan Element:
Patients in the Connected Care Program at Lifeguard Provider can add their own Care Plan elements. To do so, from your Home screen tap the “Plan” icon in the Care Binder section. Then click the plus add (+) symbol in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
From there you can tap to add a new Condition/Diagnosis, or add a trackable regimen from one of the following categories:
Symptoms/Mood, Vitals, Medications/Supplements, Wellness and Custom Regimens.
- If applicable, select a subcategory (such as blood pressure or hydration under “Wellness”) by tapping on the check mark (turning the checkmark blue) and then tap NEXT to enter the Details overview page. If you want to add other health elements, you can do so and set your own ranges and thresholds for those elements. If you add elements to your Care Plan, you can select the days per week and the time(s) per day in which you intend to carry out the recordings as part of your scheduled Care Plan. In lieu of setting a specific schedule, alternately you can select to schedule “As Needed”. This will allow you to record anytime you “Check In”, and record “as necessary” to support this regime. However, keep in mind that moving any element to “As Needed” will deactivate both Reminders and Alerts for those Care Plan elements.
Once you have completed entering your Care Plan elements, tap SAVE to go to your Summary page, and review your new regimen settings. (To make changes, hit CANCEL and then EXIT to return to the Details page. Then make changes.) To finalize, tap SAVE to add the new Care Plan element(s).
To Modify a Care Plan Element:
NOTE: Care Plan elements provisioned by a provider are “author-protected”. For Lifeguard Provider Directed Care Patients, this means that Patients and their Members/Caregivers cannot modify elements established by the Lifeguard Provider. However, Directed Care Patients can add their own elements to the Care Plan. These Patient entered elements can only be modified by that Directed Care Patient, the author.
To modify an element of the Care Plan that you authored, tap the Plan icon in the Care Binder section and select the entry that you wish to modify. Select EDIT and then tap the name/title of the selected plan element on the Summary page. This will open the Details screen and allow you to make changes to any aspect of the selected care plan element. When you are finished, hit SAVE for each edited aspect. When all editing is completed, tap Next; then tap SAVE on the Summary screen.
Condition/Diagnosis elements cannot be modified, even for those “self-authored” elements. To change a “self-authored” Condition/Diagnosis element, first delete it and follow the direction above to replace it with a new diagnosis. Any Condition/Diagnosis authored by a Lifeguard Provider for a Directed Care Patient cannot be modified or deleted by the Patient.
Apple Users: To delete an element, tap on the Plan icon in the Care Binder section of your Home screen. Swipe the element you want to delete to the left until the red Delete button appears. Tap Delete and then Confirm when prompted. (Note: If the selected element cannot be swiped to reveal the Delete button, that element has been added to your Care Plan by a Lifeguard Provider and cannot be deleted, except by that Lifeguard Provider.)
Android Users: To delete an element, tap on the Plan icon in the Care Binder section of your Home screen. Tap the element you want to delete and then the EDIT button. Tap Delete Regimen at the bottom of the screen and then tap Confirm when prompted. (Note: If the selected element does not display the Delete Regimen button, that element has been added to your Care Plan by a Lifeguard Provider and cannot be deleted, except by that Lifeguard Provider.) Alternately, Android users can also follow the same “swipe screen to the left to reveal a red Delete button” process for Apple users as outlined immediately above.
Keep in mind that Care Plan elements that are deleted or that expire on a selected date and then added back later will be treated as separate elements in Progress charts – even if they have the same name/title – and will be charted separately.
When Reminders are activated, you will receive “push notifications” on your mobile device to remind you to complete scheduled actions such as recording your symptoms, taking your medications and measuring your vital signs. Individual Reminders preferences can always be changed when modifying a Care Plan element (even for elements established by a Lifeguard Provider for a Directed Care Patient – however, the established element protocols cannot be altered). General reminder options can be modified in Settings > Preferences > Mobile Push (under the Notifications heading).
To open the profile of a Patient you are co-managing or, for whom you are a Member in their Circle of Care, from your Home screen, tap the person’s name in the Circle of Care section whose Care Plan you would like to view. Tap on the Plan icon to open and view.
NOTE: If you are not given this option, make sure that this Patient/Patient Proxy has granted you access in their Member Permissions, accessible through their Settings.
Here you can review the Care Plan of the person you are co-managing or, for whom you are a Member in their Circle of Care. Tap on an individual element to view details and swipe vertically on the screen to scroll for additional information.
When a Member’s Care Plan (in your Circle of Care) is updated, you will be notified via message in your Lifeguard Inbox, and the updated Care Plan can be immediately available to view in that Member’s profile.
Lifeguard uses in-app “reminders” and customizable “push notifications” to help you stay on top of your medication regimen.
Lifeguard utilizes the SNOMED CT medical database to enable users to search for the exact medications they want to include in their Care Plan, and even enables available photographic identification support for many of the medications. Functionality in Timeline, allows users to modify their recorded actions to correct for mistakes and missed reminders. (See: “How can I Modify or Delete a previously recorded entry in Timeline?” for details.)
Patients/Proxies can also choose to set up notifications to be sent to Members, who are authorized Members in Lifeguard. Notifications can be set up to be sent whenever the patient misses recording/taking their doses as scheduled, indicating they may need support.
Circle of Care
You can add as many people as you choose. Anyone who wishes to be a Member can install LifeguardMobile at no cost and be invited by the Patient/Patient Proxy (primary caregiver of a Dependent patient) to participate in supporting the Patient.
When you add family and friends to participate as a Member in Lifeguard, they become a part of your Circle of Care. You can add a Member from the Home screen: tap the “Add New” icon to the right of the “Circle of Care” section heading. Then select “Add Caregiver” from the pop-up window. Type in required information, set permissions and press SEND. NOTE: If the invitation is being sent to someone who already has a LifeguardMobile account, the email address you send the invitation to MUST be the same email address that the intended recipient has associated with their LifeguardMobile account, otherwise a new account will be established based on that email for use by the receiver of the invitation.
For the Provisioned Care Plan from your Lifeguard Provider, the default is “On” for Permissions for access by your Lifeguard Provider clinical team. However, you can decide how much and with whom you share your personal information with all other Members in your Circle of Care including non-Lifeguard Provider providers that you may have invited to be Members. (NOTE: other providers, who are not Lifeguard Providers that are invited to participate as Members, have no special or unique privileges different than any other Member of a Patient’s Circle of Care.)
You can also add Provider contact information to your Lifeguard account. To do so from the Home screen, tap the Add New icon to the right of the “Healthcare Providers” section heading to open the “Provider profile” screen. Type in required information and tap SAVE. NOTE: Adding provider contact information is similar to a static address book. Adding provider contact information alone via this feature will not add them to a Patient’s Circle of Care. Adding provider contact information provides no “connected care” or access to or for that provider. Any Lifeguard account owner can add any provider they choose simply as a matter of convenient access to contact information – and has no bearing on the provider’s participation in Lifeguard or their affiliation with any Lifeguard Provider.
To add a “Dependent” in LifeguardMobile, starting from your Home screen, tap on Add New icon to the right of the Circle of Care section heading. Then select “Create Dependent Account” from the pop-up window. On the Dependent screen, complete the information on the form and add an optional photo of the person (the patient) you want to support on their health journey, then tap SAVE. NOTE: The person establishing a “Dependent account” can take on caregiver management for that patient using Lifeguard as a support tool.
This is a voluntary action which does not carry with it any rights to, nor obligations of the caregiver. LifeguardMobile provides this functionality strictly as a convenience for Members supporting a loved one. The Dependent patient being cared for does not have to participate in any way in Lifeguard. The Lifeguard account owner can invite other family and friends to support caring for the “Dependent” patient as Co-Managers.
A Dependent may also be established in a Connected Care Program by a Lifeguard Provider. In such circumstance, the person identified as the LifeguardRx account owner who agrees to participate on behalf of a patient under Directed Care by that Lifeguard Provider, becomes the Proxy for that patient and can engage using LifeguardRx, communicating on behalf of their patient with the Lifeguard Provider care team as determined by the rules established by that Connected Care Program. A Proxy may invite other family and friends to support the Dependent patient as Co-Managers
To add a Member (to your own Circle of Care as the Patient), from the Home screen, tap the Add New icon to the right of the Circle of Care section heading. Then select Add Caregiver in the pop-up window.
To add a Co-Manager (as Proxy on behalf of your Dependent patient), from the Home screen tap the Dependent’s name to open their profile, then tap Add New to the right of Co-Managers section heading.
After initial selection to add Member or a Co-Manager, the remaining process is the same: Type in the email of the user you wish to invite – or tap the contact list icon to the far right of the email address line and select from your contact list for auto-entry of the email address. (You must allow Lifeguard to access your contact list for selection from your contact list). Next, set “Permissions” by tapping on the check circles (blue check circles authorizes permission for the function in each panel). When you are ready to submit the invitation, press SEND. If the invitation is being sent to someone who already has a LifeguardMobile account set up, the email address you send the invitation to MUST be the same email address that the intended recipient has associated with their LifeguardMobile account otherwise a new account will be established based on that email for use by the receiver of the invitation.
From your Home screen tap, hold and swipe the entry for the Member you want to delete right to left until the red Delete button appears. Tap Delete and then Confirm when prompted.
NOTE: Deleted Members can always be re-invited into the Patient’s Circle of Care, but past Inbox messages/conversations with that person may not be retained. (NOTE: Be sure to use the same email address to re-invite to ensure that the invitation to reconnect to the prior Circle of Care Member is sent to the Member’s existing Lifeguard Account. An invitation to a different email address will establish a new Lifeguard Account for the person being invited.)
Patients can customize Member permissions of each individual Member in their Circle of Care. Proxies (primary caregivers of Dependent patients) can also choose to modify each Co-Manager’s permissions at any time.
To modify permissions, begin at the Home screen, and tap the Settings icon in the lower right corner of the screen. Next, tap Member Permissions to open a menu listing your Circle of Care Members.
- To modify a Member’s permission, select the specific Member for whom you wish to modify permissions.
- To modify Co-Manager permissions, select the specific Dependent patient for whom you wish to modify a Co-Manager’s permissions then, on the next screen, tap on the Co-Manager’s name.
Then you can activate or deactivate the Member permission categories you would like to change by tapping on the check circles (blue check circles authorize permission for the function in each panel). Once you have finished updating a Member’s (or Co-Manager’s) permissions, tap SAVE in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
From the Home screen tap the Member whose Schedule you would like to view to open their profile.
Next, tap on the “View (Member name) Schedule” entry to see this Member’s scheduled Care Plan regimens and Appointments for any events scheduled through LifeguardMobile. (NOTE: If you cannot view the “(Name’s) Schedule” or if the “(Name’s) Schedule” defaults to the Care Plan regimen only, or Appointments only (or neither can be viewed), make sure that the Patient/Proxy (caregiver of a Dependent patient) has granted you access to their “Care Plan” and/or “Schedule” in their Member Permissions, accessible through their Settings.)
NOTE: To avoid creating confusion related to potential changes in future schedules, Patient Care Plan regimens in their “(Name’s) Schedule” screen are generated in-app for as few as seven (7) days going forward. Events scheduled beyond this time period are saved and should be viewable when they are within seven (7) days. (NOTE: All Appointments entered in Your Schedule are viewable regardless of appointment date.)
An alternate method for viewing Members’ schedule can be achieved by tapping on “Schedule” icon at the bottom of your Home screen. On the next screen tap “Appointments”, then on the “selection” icon at the top left corner of the screen, which will open the list of Members for whom you have permission to access their schedule. Tap the check mark next to each patient name, changing to blue, to add that patient. Adding patients will enable you to view that Member’s schedule from your schedule view. Each appointment will have the member’s name next to the appointment entry.
Member (Caregiver) Features
Yes. You can download and install Lifeguard and use it to manage your own care as a Patient, or support care on behalf of a Dependent. You can also accept another person’s invitation (Patient or Proxy [caregiver of a Dependent patient]) to be a Member in their Circle of Care – or a Co-Manager of a Dependent patient supporting a Proxy. All roles (Patient/Proxy and Member/Co-Manager) can be managed from the same Lifeguard account with the same email address.
Our goal is to make healthcare collaboration and support easy. You can care for as many people as you want – all from the same Lifeguard account (with the same email address).
You can use Lifeguard to help you manage your own care and to help you support your loved ones as a Member in their Circle of Care; and as the Patient Proxy (caregiver for a “Dependent” patient). There is no limit to the number of people who you can support, and no limit to how many people you can support.
Alerts and Reminders
One of Lifeguard’s most helpful features is its “Reminders and Alerts System”.
Reminders and alerts can be activated, deactivated, or modified when adding or editing a Care Plan element. General reminder and alert preferences can be modified.
To Modify, tap on Settings in lower right corner of the Home screen, then tap on Preferences. Choose each setting under “Services” and “Notification” to modify your preferences. Tap the check circles so that they are blue to authorize permission for each function for all Circle of Care Members to whom you have granted access.
A “Reminder” is a way to organize your care so that you are notified in-app, and by “push notification” when it is time to record an action.
An “Alert” is a notification sent to your “Circle of Care” by “push notification” and/or email, depending on the alert preferences you and/or your Lifeguard Provider who has set up your Provisioned Care Plan elements. There are two major types of alerts:
- Care Plan Alerts to Patients/Proxies in LifeguardRx for patients in a Connected Care Program – These alerts are automatically triggered if you record a symptom under your Lifeguard Provider’s Care Plan reporting a score equal to or outside of the established threshold established by your Lifeguard Provider. Alerts are sent to Patients/Proxies (with a notification also being sent to your Lifeguard Provider that an alert has been sent to the Patient/Proxy).
- Schedule-Based Care Plan Notifications and Alerts in LifeguardMobile and LifeguardRx– You can elect to send notifications and alerts out to your Circle of Care based via each of your individual Care Plan element settings. This includes elements of your Provisioned Care Plan as well as any other elements you may have added to your broader Care Plan. “Notifications” are not immediate, and follow this process:
- A Notification is set for a Care Plan element according to the number of reminders you miss in 24 hours – which will then trigger a Notification to your Circle of Care.
- According to the schedule for recording each element in the Care Plan a Reminder is generated to the Patient/Proxy (caregiver of a Dependent patient only) that it’s time to record and becomes a Pending Action. The action associated with the Reminder stays a Pending Action for 90 minutes to give the Patient/Patient Proxy a chance to record.
- After 90 minutes, Pending Actions will convert to Past Due Actions. Past Due actions stay active as such for 12 hours to give Patients/Patient Proxies (caregivers of Dependents patients) a broad timeframe to record their actions without requiring modification of their records in Timeline. Past Due Notifications are only sent to any permissioned Members in the Patient’s Circle of Care (NOTE: Past Due Notifications are not sent to the Lifeguard Provider of a patient participating in their Connected Care Program.)
- If a user has not recorded a scheduled action during the 90-minute Pending Action, or the following 12-hour Past Due Action stages, it will be recorded and counted as a missed-action.
- If the missed-action meets or exceeds the threshold as selected by the Patient/Proxy (caregiver of a Dependent patient) – or as pre-selected by the Lifeguard Provider, an Alert for non-adherence is generated and sent to the Patient/Patient Proxy (caregiver of a Dependent patient) and any permissioned Circle of Care Members. For Lifeguard Provider’s Directed Care Patients, the Alert will include a CALL NOW button with information relevant to the Alert and a message to contact their Lifeguard Provider immediately. In addition, Lifeguard Providers who are providing Directed Care for that Patient also receive a notification that the Patient is possibly trending toward a clinically relevant event due to non-adherence to recording elements of their Care Plan.
NOTE: For Patients who are receiving Directed Care from a Lifeguard Provider, notifications for non-adherence to the provisioned Care Plan will be sent to the Lifeguard Provider as this “permission” may be automatically “on” in the Patient’s Care Plan. For notifications and alerts to be generated to all other Circle of Care Members, “Reminders” must be active (blue check-marked as “on”) for each Care Plan element. NOTE: Reminders are set “ON” by default for any scheduled action, and manually disabling them will automatically deactivate associated scheduled action-triggered alerts and push notifications to everyone including, if the patient is participating in their Connected Care Program, the Lifeguard Provider clinical team.
Lifeguard enables the user to record an unscheduled action whenever they “Check In” to record any element in their Care Plan, as many elements of a medical journey may not follow an exact schedule. For instance: taking acute-relief migraine medication – or – documenting infrequent vertigo episodes.
To record an unscheduled action, from the Home screen tap on the Check In (or Actions) icon at the top right of the screen. If there are “Pending Actions” or “Past Due Actions”, which are not yet completed but were scheduled actions, the user will need to record – or (“Skip”) – those before being able to record unscheduled actions.
When your recordings are current, a screen with the heading “Check In” will open and display every recordable element in your Care Plan. Tap on each and any element you would like to record, enter in the appropriate information, and select Submit to confirm your recordings.
There is no restriction on the number or combination of unscheduled actions you may record at once or at any time.
Start by tapping on your Inbox icon at the bottom of your Home Screen. Tap Edit in the upper left corner of the screen and select the from sections “Invitations/Requests”, or “Alerts/Notifications” or “Messages” (each is grouped and separated with a section heading, accessed by scrolling vertically on the edit screen) that you wish to delete. When you have made your selection, tap Delete. (You can also choose Mark All at the bottom left corner of the screen, (and deselect a few that you may want to save) then tap Delete to permanently delete all messages.)
NOTE: There is no confirmation step, so make sure that you have made the right selection, as deleted conversations cannot be restored by the user that deleted them. When you delete a conversation, you only delete it from your device. To fully delete a conversation so that it cannot be restored by any user, all other users involved need to delete the conversation.
You can also delete individual messages after opening them. For notifications and alerts in your inbox, tap on the message to view details. After viewing the message, tap on the “x” at the top right corner of the message to delete. For “Care Plan Change” messages, you should first confirm seeing them, by tapping Confirm at the top right of the “Acknowledgement” screen. Tapping on Confirm will also remove the entry from your inbox. Any previously read messages in your inbox can also be removed by tapping on the message and clicking on the “x” at the top right corner of the message.
Expired regimens that are in your inbox can also be confirmed and removed from your inbox by tapping (OK) on the far-right side of that notification.
Any item in your inbox can be deleted by tapping and holding the entry to be removed and swipe right to left to reveal the red delete box. Once delete is revealed, tap delete to remove. If you don’t want to delete, tap and hold the entry and swipe left to right to restore the entry.
NOTE: You can start a new conversation with a user after deleting your previous conversation by sending them a new message. However, if a user sends a message to you which includes a conversation box that you deleted, the conversation will be restored on your device.
Lifeguard utilizes “push notifications” on your mobile device to bring your attention to reminders, alerts, new invitations, updates, messages, and all important user and Circle of Care Members’ information within the Lifeguard application. Push notification options can be modified to match your individual preferences in the Preferences menu under Settings.
When you receive a “push notification”, simply tap on the push notification (as you would do normally) and you will be redirected to the associated event within the Lifeguard application.
To record a scheduled/pending action, start at the Home screen and tap on the Actions icon at the top right of the screen. If you have any scheduled actions to record, the heading will read: “Pending Actions”.
Record the listed actions by tapping the “Add” inside the text boxes (for numerical entries) and enter the appropriate information and, tap the checkmarks (to complete an individual action, or to open a screen to complete sequential recordings (e.g. complete symptom assessment questions – or tap “(NONE)” if there are no symptoms to report). You can also tap “(Skip)” for any scheduled actions that provide that option.
Lifeguard uses push notifications on your mobile device to let you know when it is time to carry out and record actions. You have 90 minutes to record and/or skip “Pending Actions” before they are defined as “Past Due” actions.
“Past Due” actions can be accessed below the list of any pending actions to be recorded. Past Due actions include missed actions in the last 12 hours and, if any, can be accessed and recorded from the Past Due Actions screen. To access and modify actions that were scheduled after the previous 12 prior hour period has expired, or for any other prior scheduled action which were not recorded or were recorded in error, tap the Timeline icon on your Home screen in the Care Binder section. (See: “How can I modify or delete a previously recorded entry in Timeline?” for more details.)
Library is a great place to securely store all of your digital (e.g. pdf/jpg format) health records and images and other helpful medical documents. You can access and share any stored files at any time without having to carry around and sort through physical records. Begin by copying your documents (e.g., in pdf/jpg format) and other images to your Library, which is accessed from your Home screen under the “Care Binder” section.
Getting Your Documents and Images into the Lifeguard Library:
Importing Digital (pdf/jpg) Documents and Images
Access the .pdf or .jpg file you would like to add to your Library from your cloud storage, email, online, or your device storage. (This happens outside of your Lifeguard app.)
- Tap the three vertical dots icon in the top right corner of the window, (and/or) …
- Tap the Save Icon (box with arrow out) in the window.
Tap the LifeguardMobile icon (cross with blue “L” inside) in the pop up window.
(If it does not appear, scroll to the right, tap the “More” option to find LifeguardMobile.
- Type the name of the document – title the document as you wish to reference it in your Lifeguard Library. (This will not change the filename in the original source location – but will create an easily recognizable title for use in Lifeguard.)
- Tap “Post” in the upper right corner of the window when you are finished. This will save the file in your Lifeguard Library.
Access the .pdf or .jpg file you would like to add to your Library from your cloud storage, email, online, or your device storage. (This happens outside of your Lifeguard app.)
- Tap the three vertical dots icon in the top right corner of the screen to open a pop-up window.
- Tap “Send file”, “Send to” or “Share” from the menu in the pop-up window and select the file you wish to add to your Library.
Tap the LifeguardMobile icon (cross with blue “L” inside) in the next pop up screen.
- A window will open to name the file. Type the name of the document – title the document as you wish to reference it in your Lifeguard Library. (This will not change the filename in the original source location.)
- Tap Post in the bottom right corner of the window when you are finished. The file is then saved in your Lifeguard Library.
For copying/sending a video link to your Lifeguard Library:
- Find your online video (e.g., YouTube) and tap on the share arrow (curved arrow) under the video.
- On the next window scroll through the options until you see the Lifeguard icon (cross with blue “L” inside).
- Tap on the Lifeguard icon, then name the video where is says “Link”, then tap Post.
To copy an image already saved in your smartphone or TAKE A PHOTO for your Lifeguard Library:
Tap on the “+” icon in the upper right corner of the Library screen, then
- Enter the name you want to give to the photo and tap “Done”.
- Next, tap the center of open screen to reveal a pop-up window with “Select from Gallery” and “Take Photo” at the bottom of the screen.
- To add an image already saved in your smartphone, tap on Select from Gallery and select the image you want to save (e.g. “gallery” (Android) or “photos” (iOS).
- Tap on the check mark, then on the next screen tap on SAVE.
- To add a new photo, tap on Take Photo. Your phone’s camera will open and you can then take a photo as you would normally do.
- You can then “Retry” or, accept the photo by tapping “OK”
- On the next screen, tap on the check mark, then on the next screen tap Done, then on the next screen tap the checkmark and tap Save to complete the process.
Access & Share your Library Files
- To share information in Library, from your Home screen, tap on the Library icon in the Care Binder section, then any individual panel in your Library to open the resource.
- Tap on the name of a document file to access and view it. To share it, tap on the appropriate icon (multitude of icon types are used depending on source or file type) to share. After tapping the icon a pop up window opens revealing options to Share (externally); or, internal to Lifeguard, “Share with Dependent”.
- In the pop up window tap “Share” to share with anyone outside of Lifeguard that you choose. Next tap on the icon you wish to use to send the information (e.g., tap on the gmail icon). Finally, enter the destination for the information (email address) enter the subject and any message you wish to include, and then send.
- You can also send inside Lifeguard to a Dependent that you are supporting who has a Lifeguard account, by tapping on “Share with Dependent”, selecting the Dependent listed, and then tapping Send. The document is then securely sent to that dependent in Lifeguard.
NOTE: You may save different types of information to your Library including links to websites, videos and images as well as document files. However, only certain files can be shared directly from Lifeguard. If the “Lifeguard share icon”(box with arrow out) does not appear, and the Lifeguard share window does not pop up, the file cannot be shared directly from Lifeguard. Specifically, links that cannot be shared via Lifeguard from the Library, may be accessed from Lifeguard and once accessed, the original source may permit sharing directly from that source to the recipient. For example, using the native sharing functionality offered from YouTube, using their share icon (curved arrow) you can still share, but it would be outside Lifeguard. In this way, virtually all information in your Library can be shared with anyone.
To Delete a File
Simply tap and hold a filename and swipe right to the left to reveal a red Delete button. Tap the red Delete button, then in the pop-up window, select Confirm to delete, or Cancel to restore the file.
- Lifeguard Library files are stored only on the device on which they are saved. They do not sync across devices. Be sure to keep separate backups to avoid accidentally deleting important documents.
Sharing, Communications and Scheduling
From the Home screen tap on the Member you want to view to select the Member’s profile view. (The Member features displayed will be dependent upon the permissions that have been granted to you by that Member.)
Click on “View (Member name) Schedule” and Today’s schedule will display for that Member. At the top of the screen you can tap on Care Plan or Appointments to view that information. Scroll right in “Appointments” to see future dates and schedules.
NOTE: If you are not given an option to view Schedule (Care Plan or Appointments) for another Member, make sure that the Patient/Patient Proxy (caregiver of a Dependent patient) has granted you access in their Member Permissions, accessible through their Settings.
An alternate method for viewing Members’ schedule can be achieved by tapping on “Schedule” icon at the bottom of your Home screen. On the next screen tap “Appointments”, then tap on the “Selection Filter” icon at the top left corner of the screen to open the list of Members for whom you have permission to access their schedule. Tap the check mark next to each patient name (changing the check mark to blue), to add that patient. Adding patients will enable you to view that Member’s schedule from inside your schedule view. Each appointment listed will have the Member’s name next to that appointment entry.
Absolutely. Within the Lifeguard application, you can individually customize access for Members that have accepted your invitation to participate in your care and provide access to your recorded health information. To set permission, go to Settings, then Member Permissions. Tap on the Member with whom you wish to share information, then select each specific category of information (Health Info, Care Plan, etc.) for which you want to authorize access by tapping on the check-mark circle so that it is blue, indicating permission is granted.
You may also securely share your important medical information from Library and Progress, accessible under the Care Binder heading, to people outside of your Circle of Care Members, those who are not currently using LifeguardMobile. (See: “How do I use the Library to view, store and share Medical Records?”; and, “How do I view and share Progress Charts?” for more details.)
From your Home screen, under the Care Binder heading tap on the “Progress” icon. To view a Progress Chart, from the list of Care Plan elements (Medications, Vitals, Wellness, Symptoms) tap on the Care Plan element that you wish to see charted. This will default to a screen displaying the actions recorded for all recordings under that element category for the current day.
At the top of the screen you can tap the length of time you would like to view charted (Day, Week, Month, Year). After tapping that timeframe, the screen will fully display that view (week at a glance, month at a glance, etc.). To view recordings for a time prior to the current time displayed, tap, hold and drag across the screen to the right to go back in time.
To share Progress Charts, tap on the share icon (box with arrow out) at the top right corner of the screen. Next, enter the email address of the person you wish to share Progress Charts with, or select it from your contact list by tapping on the “contacts” icon to the right of the address entry line. Recipients do not need to be LifeguardMobile users.
Tap on the checkmarks to the right of the Care Plan elements (Medication Adherence, Vital Measures, Symptom Assessments, Lifestyle Measures) that you wish to share so that the checkmark is blue. You can select as many as you would like. Next in the Duration fields, first tap on Select Date under “Starts” to open a calendar and select the oldest date for which you want to share. When you find the date you want, tap on that date then tap OK. Then to select the end date, tap on Select Date under “Ends” to open a calendar and select the most recent date for which you want to share. This will establish the time period for which you would like to share your Progress Charts.
Review your selections and check the box under Consent to acknowledge your consent to share this information with the recipient. To complete the share request, tap Send at the top right corner of the screen. The Care Plan elements for the timeframe you selected are then sent to the recipient’s email inbox.
There are various methods to communicate with a Member in your Circle of Care.
1) From your Home screen, tap on the Member you want to communicate with and then on their profile page tap on the “message cloud” icon to initiate or continue a conversation.
2) Tap the Inbox icon at the bottom of your Home screen to open your communications. Tap on “Messages” (one of three headings near the top of the screen). Under Messages tap on a Member name to add to a previous message or continue an ongoing conversation – or – tap the Create Message notepad icon at the top right corner of the screen to begin a new conservation. After tapping the Create Message icon, you need to add recipient(s). To do so, tap the plus sign at the top right of the screen and select one or more of your Circle of Care Members listed by tapping on the check mark so that it is blue, then tap “Next”. If you tapped more than one Member, a “group” will automatically be created and a list of the Members in the group can be viewed by tapping on the down arrow next to “group” in the heading. Tap inside the text box to open keyboard and begin your message. Tap “Send” when complete.
3) You can message to a Circle of Care Members from any alert you receive for that Member by tapping on the “Message” button at the bottom of the notification message. (NOTE: you may also call the Member from the alert notification by tapping on the “Call” button at the bottom of the alert notification.)
You can also tap on any of the icons at the bottom of an open message box to add a new photo, a new video, a saved image from Gallery (Android) / Photos (iOS) or, your most recently captured location. (NOTE: location services on your phone must be “on” to capture “your current location”.)
Messaging using these methods in Lifeguard is SECURE. You cannot message LifeguardMobile users via this method who have not accepted your invitation to participate in your care via Lifeguard.
From the Home screen, under the Care Binder heading, tap on the Timeline icon. All records are grouped by date with most recent messages, recordings (or missed scheduled recordings) at the top. Once in Timeline, tap and drag the screen vertically to scroll. Tap on the entry that you would like to modify or delete. After you tap on the desired entry, tap on Edit in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
To MODIFY the entry: Enter the data as you would record it normally, (if there is a check-circle, tap on that and proceed; if it is an empty text box enter the new or revised value and proceed). When you complete your modification, tap Save to finalize the change(s).
To DELETE the entry: Tap Delete Timeline Record and then tap “Confirm” to permanently delete or, “Cancel” to restore entry. If you tap “Delete”, it deletes just the individual action, and not the entire entry if it contains multiple actions (such as multiple symptoms to record). To delete multiple actions, repeat the process for each single entry.
The Journal is where you and your care team can communicate about your latest care updates and share information, including the ability to text pictures to document your progress. The Journal serves as a type of bulletin board that can effectively support a patient who has multiple care providers or multiple supporting Members, so that everyone can stay on the same page day-to-day with your personalized care needs.
The Journal is an excellent resource for capturing the elements of your medical journey that are not easily simplified into simple facts and figures. The Journal is a multifunction tool that can be used to keep a daily log, update family and friends on your progress, track visually perceivable developments, record hopes and concerns related to your health journey, and document detailed accounts of acute episodes.
From the Home screen tap on the “Check In” icon in the upper right corner of the screen. A “Daily Journal” panel will be displayed at the top of the resulting screen. The Daily Journal panel will also display after tapping the “Actions” icon – only if there is a new Journal post from a member of your Circle of Care – and, your related “action” is to review the new journal entry.
(Note: The “Actions” icon will display when you have “pending actions” or “past due actions”, or a new, unread, journal entry. If you have “Actions” to complete [but NO unread journal entry], the Daily Journal panel will NOT display, as there are no actions to take regarding review of a new journal entry. After you complete your actions, the “Actions” icon will change to the “Check In” icon. Upon tapping the refreshed “Check In” icon, you can access the Daily Journal panel to review posts and make a new entry.)
Tap on the Daily Journal panel to view previous posts. Swipe vertically to scroll through all posts. Each entry is time-stamped and organized by day. Tap on any blue text that reads “view…” (for Care Plan changes, images, etc.) to open details that you or your authorized Members have posted.
To make a new journal entry, tap on the “post” icon in the upper right corner to “check-in” and post a journal entry.
- To “check-in”, select one or more of the ‘smiley’ icons under the “Status” heading to indicate your general mood. (You must add a message in the text box before you can post a smiley to your Journal.) Note: Smileys are only presented to Patients or Patient Proxies for selection for the Patient and, are not available to any Circle of Care Member who accesses that Patient’s journal.
- To post a new message, tap inside the text box under the heading “Entry” to open the virtual keyboard, and enter your message. Your message can provide additional information and context about your symptoms, or about the mood you indicated – or any message that you want to share with your Circle of Care. Your clinical team may also view your journal message.
- You can also send a photo or an existing image (e.g., from Gallery (Android) / Photos (iOS) as an attachment by tapping on the paperclip at the bottom right of the screen (scroll down if necessary, to reveal the paperclip if it’s hidden under the keyboard). Tap “Post” to update your journal.
NOTE: Your posts are not “delivered” to any Member in your Circle of Care but, are viewable by all Members that you have permissioned to view your Journal. Journal entries cannot be edited or deleted. NOTE: For communications that require a greater degree of privacy, or if you want a message to be delivered to a specific person or persons in your Circle of Care, please use your Inbox messaging functionality. (See also Question 35, “How do I send a message to a Member in my “Circle of Care”?”.
From your Home screen, tap on the Member’s name under the “Circle of Care” heading to go to their Profile, then at the top right corner of the screen tap on their “Check-in” or “Actions” (or, tap on the “Check-in” or “Actions” icon inside the Member’s name panel under the “Circle of Care” heading on your Home screen). To access the Daily Journal panel for your Member, follow the exact same process as you would to access your own Journal. Please see information described in Question 38, “How do I post to my Journal?” for details how the Daily Journal can be accessed.
To create a new post, tap the new entry “notepad icon” on the top right of the screen. The capabilities are the same as your own journal. You can type text, take and attach photos to share insights and words of encouragement. Once message entry is complete, tap Post. The option to select a ‘smiley’ icon under the “Status” heading is NOT available for Members in a patient’s Circle of Care. Smileys are presented to Patients or Patient Proxies only.
NOTE: Once posted, Journal entries cannot be edited, and a Member’s profile can be viewed by any other user granted permission by that Member, now or in the future. For communications that require a greater degree of privacy, please use your Inbox messaging functionality.
Security and Privacy
Lifeguard user healthcare data is stored in US data centers managed by Amazon Web Services. Within our application environment, managed by Lifeguard Health Networks, we have built a sophisticated security system that assures that we meet your security and privacy expectations.
We take the security and privacy of your health information very seriously. Lifeguard meets U.S. HIPAA and HITECH regulations, as well as Canadian data privacy standards as outlined in the PHIPA.